Travels with a Brompton

Yesterday, I availed myself of the Brompton Dock at Guildford station, and hired a Brompton folding bicycle for a couple of days. It costs a modest annual membership fee, then £5 per day's hire, providing an excellent opportunity to try one out. Contrary to my expectations, after two days covering about 40 miles on a range of surfaces (tarmac, towpath, grass track...), I have to say I found it very comfortable and quite manoeuvrable. The main challenge is working out how to fold and unfold the machine: I recommend watching one of the many 'how to' videos on you tube before you try. Once mastered, it's great to be able to easily stow the bike in your car boot or carry it onto public transport, though I was a little disappointed at how heavy it was.

For my second day's ride, I drove down to Rye Harbour Nature Reserve. There is a large free car park, and a good tarmacced cycle path along the riverside and behind the beach. There are several bird hides (I saw avocets and sandwich terns), and the wild flowers were a picture.

With Brompton at Rye Harbour

Comments