Circuit Guildford- Ranmore - Dorking - Shere

The autumn equinox already: the evenings are drawing in! One afternoon this week I managed a local circuit (see map). I went up the A246 to East Horsley. I did not wish to take my life in my hands, so, from East Clandon where the dual carriageway ends, I used the pavement beside the road: a bit naughty, but this pavement is little used by pedestrians. I then made my way up Green Lane and over Ranmore Common (phew, a stiff climb on what turned out to be a very hot, rather humid, afternoon). Descending to West Humble, I stopped for a cuppa at the friendly Pilgrims Cycles in the old station.

I used the good cycle path beside the busy A24 into Dorking, and took mainly backroads through the town, to pick up the NCN22. A relatively new off-road route has been created to Westcott, and judging by the number of people using it (school kids, dog walkers, strollers) it is a real asset to the local community. I then followed the NCN22 to Shere, a really pleasant ride through woods and fields at the foot of the Downs. After a steep descent to Abinger Hammer, there is a short stretch on the busy A25, but then you peel off to approach Shere on a bridleway across meadows overlooking the village church from the South. (This Abinger-Shere stretch can be a bit muddy in winter.)

I returned to Guildford via the dreaded climb up Combe Lane (as used in descent in the 2012 Olympics: I can get to the sharp hairpin OK, but walk the rest), and the fantastic long descent on Staple Lane to East Clandon, on which there were great views over London.

NCN22 twixt Dorking and Westcott

NCN22 Twixt Westcott and Abinger

Shere church from NCN22

View from Staple Lane above East Clandon

Comments