Cycling from Salisbury to Winchester and Alton

In a previous ride, I travelled from Salisbury to Winchester loosely following the old Roman road from Old Sarum. This time, I followed the 'official' cycle route 24 for some of the way, and, from Winchester, went on to Alton on routes 23 and 224.  A map of my route is below.


The forecast was for a strong south-westerly wind, so I decided to do the ride from West to East, ie starting from Salisbury. I cycled from Guildford to Woking, from where I got the train to Salisbury. The timetable board on the station said that a reservation was essential for cycles, but I got on to the train with no problem, arriving in the city at about 11:15. The cycle route 24 leaves Salisbury passing the always-magnificent Cathedral, but then exits the city beside the busy A36. It was a relief to escape onto the less-busy Clarendon Road to Alderbury. From here, the route pealed off cross-country, following the pleasantly rolling Dun Valley, close to the Salisbury-Eastleigh railwayline. The route passes nearby Mottisfont Abbey National Trust property where I stopped off for a look around the gardens by the River Test.

From here, NCN24 takes a rather roundabout route to Winchester, so I headed straight across country on quiet lanes. A plan to cycle through the grounds of the IBM Research Centre at Hursley Park, was foiled by locked gates making clear this is private, hence I took a longer way round on the A3090, although this was compensated a little further on by a good off-road track from the hamlet of Silkstead, which provided a quiet approach to Winchester. I entered the city via the Hockley (disused railway) viaduct, which has been newly restored as a (very fine) cycle path.

Pausing to admire the Cathedral (round about 3.30 pm), it started to drizzle, but I decided to press on nevertheless, which proved a good decision as the drizzle soon ceased. Leaving Winchester on the Easton Road, I retraced my route of 22 June in reverse, ie along the pleasant river valley to Alresford, then climbing to Medstead (this was quite a climb so late in the day: fortunately the village shop in  Medstead was open to supply energy-boosting sustenance.)  From Medstead, I took route 224 to Alton: this was an excellent descent, with a particularly good downhill off-road track through the Chawton Park forest.

From Alton, I got the train back to Guildford (via Aldershot), a handy service I must make more use of to access this area. Total distance: about 50 miles. I was grateful to have that strong tailwind!

Saxon Church, Mottisfont

Mottisfont Abbey

Gardens, Mottisfont


Hockley Viaduct, nr Winchester

Hockley Viaduct cycle path

Winchester Cathedral

Cycle path through Chawton Park nr Alton

Comments