Bosham Harbour

My original intention was to explore alternatives to the busy NCN2 route along the A259 between Havant and Chichester.   I started at Prinsted and took a look at the Solent Way path heading East beside Langstone Harbour.  This had a good surface on an embankment with views over the water and would make an excellent cycle path. However, signs make it clear that it is designated as a footpath and that cycling is trespass and not welcome. I hence relocated a few miles east to the Chidham peninsula. 

After grabbing a bite to eat in the quaint Old House at Home pub in Chidham village, I started my ride, see map here. I followed pleasant lanes back unavoidably to the A259. A shared use cycle path took me to the Bosham turn off. Bosham is a deservedly popular spot, with a history dating back at least a thousand years (it was here that King Canute tried to turn back the waves). I cycled around the 'harbour' (an inlet of the Chichester Harbour 'lagoon'), taking in the views back to the village across the water, which are beloved of watercolour artists. This road gets submerged at high tide, so you need to choose your time carefully. Shortly I stumbled upon a sign to the Itchenor ferry. I went down the path to the waters edge. A couple had already summoned the ferry, so I joined them on the crossing, a bargain at £3.00. (Google the ferry's website to check seasonal operating times.)

From Itchenor, I picked up the Salternes Way, which provided a pleasant, mostly off-road, route back to the outskirts of Chichester, from where I picked NCN 2, having stopped at the Chichester marina cafe, and also made a diversion to the waterside hamlet of Dell Quay on the way. NCN2 leaves the A259 briefly, skirting round the grounds of the Fishbourne Roman Villa, before rejoining a mix of shared use path and cycle lane alongside the main road.

This ride confirmed my view that there is as yet no reasonably direct low-traffic alternative to the A259 as a route between Chichester and Havant, but the circuit I made of Chichester Harbour is a well worthwhile ride in its own right. It's a pity the Solent Way could not be opened up to cycling.

Old House at Home pub, Chidham

Typical shared use path beside A259

Bosham Harbour

On board Itchenor ferry

Tiptoe through the plastic: on the Salternes Way

Boat House cafe at Chichester marina

Wreck, Dell Quay

Comments