Grand Union Canal: the journey continues. From Cowley Lock to Watford and beyond

[For a summary of all my rides along the Grand Union Canal between London and Birmingham, see this blog.]

Previously (see blog), I cycled two routes across the M4 corridor to reach the Grand Union Canal at Cowley Lock. Today, I pressed on Northwards up the GUC towpath.

I parked in the small but free car park at Little Britain Lake, and retraced my steps to the join the canal towpath just North of Cowley Lock, from where I explored northwards, map of GPS track below:


I diverted off the towpath briefly to follow signs for National Cycle Route 6 in the vicinity of Denham. This route is on the other (East) side of the canal and circles the gravel pit lakes, before rejoining the towpath. Other than offering a bit of variety, it has little to commend it (I got lost at one point), and requires a carry down steep steps to rejoin the canal. Further on, you can also divert into Rickmansworth Aquapark, where there is a cafe.

Having reached Batchworth Lock (canal centre, cafe), I tried to follow the Ebury Trail (disused railway) around Watford, but after the first section, the path was closed for bridge repairs (till August 2015). So instead I continued up the canal and crossed into pleasant Cassiobury Park. After a short walk past a childrens' play area, there is a good cycle path across the park and into Watford town centre (handy to reach Watford Junction station, for trains to Clapham Junction).

From here I headed away from the canal and took NCN6 to St Albans, where  I cycled through Verulamium Park beside the old Roman walls, and visited the fine Cathedral, another to add to my collection (see blog).

Rather than just retrace my steps, I headed on lanes cross-country via Bedmond to Kings Langley, where I rejoined the canal and returned along the towpath to my start point.

All this confirmed my supposition that the GUC provides an excellent traffic-free way to explore or get through this part of London and its suburbs. Scenery is varied: industrial estates on the site of old warehouses, modern canal-front apartments, and a surprising amount of pleasant countryside (esp around Hillingdon).  There is a mix of surfaces: tarmac, stones, earth: some parts are quite rough so a mountain bike is useful, though not essential. The towpath is quite narrow in places, and, on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon, it got quite busy with fellow cyclists, as well as joggers and walkers , so needs patience and a bell at busy times. (Watch out for people listening to ipods on headphones, hence deaf to the world). Going North, each lock gains height: hence the ride is slightly uphill going North, but you wouldn't really notice it.

I didn't have time to go further North, but it's only a few miles further to Berkhampstead, the start of my ride all the way along the canal as far as Northampton, see blog. And from St Albans, there are potential routes across to the Lee/Lea Valley and East London. Of which more anon.

Car park at Little Britain Lake

I joined the GUC towpath nr Cowley Lock

Garden of Fran's Cafe, Denham Lock

Canal-side gardens

Entertainment at Batchworth Lock

Ebury Way (was closed for bridge repairs)

Cycle Path, Cassiobury Park, Watford

Watford cycle path:
the town has at least made an attempt to be more cycle friendly

Old Fox pub on NCN6 on the way to St Albans:
very rural; despite being a stone's throw form the M1

Mighty St Alban's Cathedral

Cycle path beside the old Roman Walls, Verulamium Park, St Albans



Comments