Guildford to Chichester via Littlehampton

I did another training run today, map of my track here. I decided to head for the South Coast, but choosing roads and tracks different to those I usually use. I adjusted the route to make it approximately 60 miles. Avoiding the temptation to use the Downs Link, I headed by lanes over the Surrey Hills to Cranleigh, then down to Wisborough Green. Here, a bridleway going South to link with Black Gate Lane avoided a long on-road alternative. I then headed to Storrington through a rather built-up area, then ascended the South Downs via steep Chantry Lane, which leads to Chantry Post, a great view point. Then I descended on rough bridleways through crops and over grass downland, past Long Furlong Farm, then climbed (walked) up a bridleway to the hamlet of Patching. I stopped for a drink at the Fox pub on the outskirts of Angmering, before plunging into the South Coast sprawl, to reach the sea at Littlehampton.

I pressed on westwards. I was disappointed that the good burghers of Littlehampton have prohibited cycling beside the River Arun, so I used backroads to reach the cyclists bridge upstream. The prospect of using the busy A259 did not appeal, so I went down the lane to the beach at Climping. From here I pushed along the shingle (it's not as bad as my Dungeness beach epic), to emerge on estate roads at Elmer. I traversed the urban sprawl of Bognor Regis to reach the cycle path along the prom in front of the Butlins holiday camp, and then made my way to Chichester, using a short stretch of bridleway to reach South Mundham, then the NCN2 including the towpath of the Chichester canal.

From Chichester I returned to Guildford on the train via Havant, all in all a good ride on a sunny day, though battling a strong head wind towards the end. Although a limited part of the promenades in Littlehampton and Bognor have been made shared use, it is a shame more has not been done to open the rest of the sea frontage to cycling where practicable.


Bridleway S of Wisborough Green

Chantry Post, on the South Downs above Storrington
Bridleway descending from Chantry Post
Menu at the Fox Inn, Angmering

Prom, Littlehampton

East Beach Cafe, Littlehampton

Crossing the Adur at Littlehampton

Climping beach

Prom at Bognor

Comments