Chilterns cycling circuit: Henley, West Wycombe, Stokenchurch, Stoke Row

Earlier in the year, I ventured into the Chilterns around Ivinghoe Beacon - see blog. Today, I explored this range of hills further to the South and West. I made an early start in my car, and on quiet roads reached my start point, the car park on the South bank of the Thames at the end of Ferry Lane in the village of Aston near Henley in about 55 minutes. I started my ride around 8.30am, and it was quite autumnal, with mist just beginning to clear. I pushed my bike along the Thames Path the short way to Hambleden Lock, then crossed to the North bank via the long footbridge over the weir.

Here is a map of my GPS track. 

I based my circuit loosely upon the Chilterns Cycleway, climbing first to the village of Frieth then crossed the M40 and made my way via West Wycombe to a 'furthest North and East' point at Great Hampden. I then headed across to Stokenchurch, crossed back over the M40, and skirted the North Western scarp of the Chilterns, and then returned South to Henley via Stoke Row. I lingered a while beside the Thames in Henley, before crossing back to the South bank and returning to my start via the village of Remenham. A total of around 55 miles in 8 hours, with lots of stops for photos and refreshments.

The cycling is just as I like it. There were a few challenging climbs and descents (eg the steep descent to the A40 near West Wycombe), but in between there is gently rolling countryside, with attractive valleys characteristic of the back slope of the Chilterns, and some great views (through the occasional gaps in hedges and trees) from the scarp. I particularly enjoyed the more open country and quiet back lanes from Cookley Green round to Stoke Row. The riverside in and around Henley is quintessentially English.

Early on this summer Sunday, the roads were very quiet, but I suspect they could be quite a lot busier on a term-time weekday.

Crossing the weir at Hambleden Lock (walk, don't cycle)

The Mausoleum atop a hill at West Wycombe

View north, from Pink Road above Loosley Row

Microwave Tower by the M40 at Stokenchurch: I was particularly interested
to see this, since, with binoculars, it can be seen from the North Downs
above Merrow.

Distant views to the North Downs

View across to Didcot Power Station and Wittenham Clumps

Black Horse Pub (brown horses are allowed, evidently)

Maharajah's Well, Stoke Row

Jolly boating weather - Henley-upon-Thames

Sign at the access gate for the Thames Path at Remenham:
I took the somewhat strange syntax to mean that
cycling along the towpath is tolerated here.

Temple Island from the towpath


Comments