LEJOG Day 21: Bettyhill to John o'Groats

Previous day
Back to first day

Weather: Cloudy,  drizzle, good tailwind

Stats: 50.7 miles; ave speed moving : 13.0 mph

Counties: Highland

GPS track mapLink here

Well, we made it. I don't think anyone cared too much about anything other than getting to the end, whatever the conditions. However, our luck had at least partially returned, as yesterday's headwind had become a good North Westerly tailwind for our journey Eastwards to JOG, as evinced by my record average speed of 13 mph. We fairly sped along the North Coast road, which in better conditions would make a near perfect ride: not much traffic, dramatic sandy bays (this coast must be one of Britain's best kept secrets), gentle climbs and long rolling descents. The old Raleigh had done well, but it was creaking and groaning a lot, just like me. (Mal said it sounded like I was rearranging the gears rather than changing them.)

After a lunch stop at the Tempest café in Thurso, we progressed the final 20 miles to JOG. For the last time, I counted down the miles on the Garmin 10, 9, 8..... till finally the great moment came. Well, not actually zero, but 0.34, since we had agreed to rendezvous at the Seaview Hotel, before riding down together to the famous sign post for champagne and photos. At last, job done, our great journey complete.

I had arranged to get my bike couriered back from the Seaview, so left it there and got a lift in the van back to our hotel at Mey, 7 miles back down the road. I felt a little guilty about avoiding the slog back against the wind and rain.

The coast road 

Final café stop,  Thurso
Peter's final briefing at the Seaview
Champagne 

We did it, triumphant despite the rain (hence the blurry shot)

I made it (well, me and the Raleigh)

Les and Peter, our guides: they were the best 

Comments