New Sea Wall at Camber

Today I made my annual visit to the seaside near Rye: the ride along to Folkestone and (if I'm feeling fit), Dover, is one of my favourites (see this blogpost). This time however, I had a less strenuous day. I started by parking (for free) at Broomhill Sands  car park, and checking out the new sea defences which were completed earlier this year. The beach is now backed by a rampart of huge granite blocks behind which is an impressive sea wall, with an excellent 'promenade', so now it is possible to cycle along the wall all the way from Camber to Jury's Gap, a pleasant alternative to the road, which can be busy and which has no sea view (it's blocked by the sea wall!). It is not entirely clear whether cycling is officially permitted, but there seemed to be plenty of cyclists trying it out.

I then drove on to Dungeness, and cycled along the coast to Dymchurch, from where I got the train back to Dungeness. This is no ordinary train line, however, but  the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch miniature railway: a novel experience. Would that our 'real' rail services were run so efficiently.

The rampart of granite blocks in front of the Camber sea wall

Camber sea wall at Broomhill Sands, looking West to Camber

Camber sea wall at Broomhill Sands, looking East to Jury's Gap

Beach cafes at Camber Sands
Train arriving at Dymchurch

Bikes are carried in the luggage carriage

Comments