Cycling via Bookham Common to Polesden Lacey

I took advantage of a fine winter's day to explore some new paths: map here.


I cycled up the A246 to West Horsley (using Blakes Lane to avoid the worst of this busy road) then went via the Drift (marked on the OS map as a track, but actually quite a busy road) to Effingham Junction Station. Here, I picked up the bridleway shown on the OS map as Bank's Lane to Bookham Common: this got quite muddy in the latter stages. Then, it was a pleasant ride past the pond on Bookham Common.

I made my way up through Great Bookham to Polesden Lacey, via Crabtree Lane and then a bridleway which had some deep wall-to-wall puddles. My strategy of just pedalling fast straight through them was working well till I hit a submerged stone, and ended up with very wet and cold feet.

After some warming refreshment at the cafe in Polesden Lacey forecourt, I crossed the valley past Yew Tree Farm on an excellent bridleway to Ranmore Road, then came back to Guildford along the North Downs Trackway (which also had some quite challenging mud and puddles), descending from Newlands Corner to Merrow Golf Clubhouse.
Bank's Common bridleway

Bookham Common


Pond, Bookham Common

Bridleway/swimming pool on the way to Polesden Lacey

Yew Tree avenue to Yew Tree Farm

Sparrowhawk

Newlands cafe



Comments