Playing fields: Eton, Dorney Rowing Lake and the Jubilee River

Suffering from a gammy leg, I needed a short untaxing cycle circuit to provide some gentle exercise, so decided to explore the area round Eton, which has been on my to-do list for some time. My GPS track is here:



I parked by the B3026 bridge over the Jubilee River, and cycled along the excellent cycle track eastwards along the Jubilee River.

The Jubilee River was built in the 1990s to alleviate flooding of the Thames between Maidenhead and Eton/Windsor

An excellent nature reserve (the Dorney Wetlands) has been created

I then headed South on the path across the playing fields of Eton

Whereon, according to the Duke of Wellington, the Battle of Waterloo was won

Being torn apart by a beagle pack is an unusual risk
I continued on along the path through Eton College: although signs say 'private' I followed other members of the public though the grounds and the access road beside the college out to Eton High Street. It seems to be accepted as a through route, but maybe this was just because it was half term. Perhaps the beagle pack roams free at other times.
Eton College: I presume the wall in the foreground is where the Wall Game is played. Alas, no top-hatted locals were sitting atop the wall when I was there.

Memorial Garden (rather grim statute of Perseus with Medusa's head)

Eton College entrance

Eton College Chapel (similarity to Kings College Chapel, Cambridge, is no coincidence)
 I then cycled through Eton and, having stopped for a snack by the bridge over the Thames, headed upstream along the towpath
Eton High Street

Windsor Castle seen over Windsor Bridge

Windsor Castle from the Thames towpath heading out of Eton
 You arrive at the impressive Dorney Rowing Lakes, where Eton rowing training takes place.
Eton Boat House, Dorney Lakes Rowing Centre

Causeway between the two lakes makes an excellent cycle path (but note 'cycle training' not allowed)

Momento of 2012, when Dorney hosted the rowing events
From the end of the Lake, I made my way back to the start via Dorney Court Garden Centre, which has a nice cafe. An easy but interesting (and flat) circuit - 11 miles.

Comments