A cycle circuit on Wiltshire drove roads

Perusing the OS map of Salisbury Plain for interesting rides, I noticed a couple of Byways Open To All Traffic (BOATs) - the Old Shaftesbury Drove and the Ox Drove - which would offer a good circuit of 30 miles or so at the northern edge of the Cranborne Chase AONB. As their name suggests these were used in bygone (pre-railway) times to drive livestock to market.  BOATs can legally be used by motor vehicles, and YouTube videos show trail bikes ploughing through mud and wheel-deep puddles so I reserved this ride for a summer dry spell.

With the current dry spell turning into a drought, and the midsummer weather set fair, I decided now was a good time. I started from the small Forestry Commission Harewarren car park opposite Salisbury Racecourse. A map of my track is here.



I headed West along the Old Shaftesbury Drove and was pleased to find the track in good condition. The surface ranged from compacted stone chippings, gravel and compacted earth. Several stretches were deeply rutted and would be difficult after rain but today they were bone dry.

The track descends to meet the A30 which was not too busy so I cycled a couple of miles along to the village of Ludwell where I stopped for lunch in the Grove Arms pub.

Refreshed, I ascended by road to the ridge line at Win Green, an excellent viewpoint, then headed back East on the Ox Drove BOAT. All went well for the first few miles, with the track alternating with short stretches of tarmac lane. However, East of the road down to Bowerchalk the track became overgrown and rutted in parts, culminating with a swimming pool sized puddle across the track. Having precariously teetered around the edge of this obstacle I finally made it down to the A354. I followed a bridleway back over to the hamlet of Throope then climbed back up the road to complete my circuit.

Apart from the Eastern half of the Ox Drove, I enjoyed this ride. If I did it again I would shortcut down to the hopefully quiet road along the Ebble valley. And I wouldn't try it after prolonged wet weather.

Start at Harewarren car park: this is definitely a ride for a mountain bike

Shady track at the start of the Old Shaftesbury Drove

A more open section of the Old Shaftesbury Drove, around Fovant Down

Wild flowers

I diverted to walk around  the ramparts of Chiselbury Camp hill fort, an excellent viewpoint....

.... and walked down to view the Fovant cap badges, made by regiments stationed near here during WW1. Actually, they are better viewed from a distance.

Poppies

Looking over the scarp of Fovant Down

Gravelly surface

The Old Shaftesbury Drove descends on a chalk track to the A30 - take care

Grove Arms Pub, Ludwell

Win Green panorama

On Win Green

The clump atop Win Green

Unusual obstacle

View north over Ferne Park house, a Palladian style mansion built in c2001 for the 4th Viscount Rothermere 

Paragliders on Monks Down

The only trail bikes I encountered: on a dry day they put up a lot of dust

On the Ox Drove

Got a caravan to get rid of: just dump it on a byway, why don't you. Regrettably, I saw several instances of fly tipping

A badly rutted and overgrown section of the Ox Drove

At Lodge Farm

Track-wide axle-deep puddle

Returning on the pleasant bridleway over Throope Hill

River Ebble at Throope: cool spot for a rest

Throope Church

Comments

  1. Looks brilliant, will be walking it bits at a time when I'm able to travel. Thanks for great pix.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment