Surrey Hills Cycle Trails: Frensham Loop

Further to my initial excursion on the Elstead Loop (orange track), today I tried the Frensham Loop (blue track). As I parked in the car park at Frensham Great Pond, it began to rain, and I had second thoughts. When the rain stopped after 30 minutes or so, I decided to go ahead, and was rewarded with a dry if overcast afternoon, in marked contrast to the brilliant sunny day for my Elstead ride. It was another enjoyable circuit. Some of the paths were very sandy and I had to get off and push quite often, although in places new routes have been made alongside: these offer firmer going, although in time they will probably wear down to sand.




Beach at Frensham Great Pond

Some of the paths are very sandy

Ford on Sandy Lane, Rushmoor



Formidable hill ahead on Hankley Common

Atlantic Wall, Hankley Common

The wall was built  to simulate German coastal defneces to allow Canadian troops to train for D-Day

Hankley Common military training area: don't be unduly alarmed if heavily armed infantry emerge from the undergrowth!

Hankley Golf Course: the tracks across the golf course are ....sandy

Downhill track between Tilford and Sheephatch Lane: take care!

Crossing the River Wey at Wey Meadow SSSI, Pierrpont Farm ........

.... a tranquil spot

Overgrown path on the return to Frensham Great Pond: I stayed on the road

Comments