Guildford circuit: Pirbright, Ash Ranges and Normandy



Every cloud has a silver lining. In the present Covid lock-down, we are encouraged to take daily exercise on foot or bike, and most roads are virtually empty of motor traffic, providing an unprecedented opportunity (incentive even) to cycle routes I would never normally go near. The prohibition of non-essential car and train journeys means such rides must be local (and solitary). And the weather is set fair, gin clear blue sky, wall to wall sunshine, reasonably cool, and tracks mostly in unusually good condition after a prolonged dry spell. I don't often cycle across Guildford. but today I did so on normally busy roads to reach the Jolly Farmer pub on Whitmoor Common. This was the start of my ride proper, as shown on this map. (NOTE: Normally I post my routes on a Google Map. Here I am trying the Komoot app, which gives useful stats about the route, and it's easy to download a GPX of the route.)




I headed across Whitmoor and Pirbright Commons (with more normally busy main roads in between) to reach the village of Pirbright. From here I was pleased to find that Ash Ranges were open to the public (red flags down, no live firing) and, as in my previous range ride, I followed the ridges giving far-reaching views towards Guildford Cathedral and the new tower blocks breaking the skyline at Woking. I descended to Normandy and picked up the Christmas Pie Trail back to Guildford. It was eerie cycling back through the deserted town centre in the early evening. I felt almost guilty having such an enjoyable ride in such gloom-laden times.
On Whitmoor Common

Still some water around

On Pirbright Common


Pirbright village green and pond

Pirbright churchyard: Grave of Henry ("Livingstone") Morton ("I Presume") Stanley who lived locally in his final years. Interesting facts: HMS was born John Rowlands in Wales. He took the surname of a store owner who became his benefactor when he emigrated to New Orleans. He has the unusual distinction of being the only Welshman to have served in the Confederate Army, the Union Army and the Union Navy in the American Civil War.
Ash Ranges was open to the public (I think this was because it was a Sunday, rather than a Covid shutdown)

Ash Ranges, a rare surviving Surrey Heathland

Far reaching views from Crown Prince Hill

Great tracks on Ash Ranges

Many fine views from the Ridges
Signs of the times
Track descending Gravelpit Hill to Normandy
Bridleway from Wyke, Normandy 

Not all tracks were bone dry

On the Christmas Pie Trail


New cyclepath to Alresford Road beside Guildford Cathedral


Comments