Folkestone-Canterbury Cycle Circuit

I did this ride back in July 2014, but forgot to blog it. Here's a map of my route.


I parked the car on Cheriton Hill overlooking the Channel Tunnel Shuttle terminal. Essentially, I did a loop to Canterbury, outwards to the West via Regional Route (RR) 17, returning via RR 16 to the East. The map shows my exact route as recorded on GPS (including some wrong turns and short retracing of steps). Turned out I was following Route 17 as shown on old 1:50K OS Landranger mapping: this included a stretch of very rough track (see red triangle on map). The route has since been rerouted. - as shown by orange line on the map. At Patrixbourne, I joined RR 16, which is a good traffic free route into Canterbury.  After a short wander to look at the Cathedral,  I retraced my steps back to Patrixbourne,  then carried on on RR 16 through Aylsham to Coldred.  From here I cut across country via Hawkinge to ascend back to my starting point.

All in all, a very pleasant run, through rolling Kent countryside, generally quiet, though I did pick up some school run traffic around Coldred.

Trivia: according to a blue plaque, Ian Fleming wrote 'You Only Live Twice' in 1964 at the Duck Inn at Pett Bottom.

Shuttle terminal from Cheriton Hill

Start at car park on Cheriton Hill

Typical Regional Cycle Route 17

Regional Route 16 into Canterbury

RR16 enters Canterbury suburbs

Crete Road West above Folkestone




Comments