A Beacon of hope: Ivinghoe Beacon, Grand Union, Ashridge Estate

When I want to get away from my hometown of Guildford for a ride in the country, I tend to head south or west, the reason being good communications by road and rail. Heading north and east generally means having to grapple either with the M25 or with a train journey across London. Nevertheless, I would like to explore areas like the Chilterns, so I bit the bullet and braved the M25. I left mid morning and avoided the traffic, arriving at my chosen parking spot - Ivinghoe Beacon - within a little over an hour.

I did a circuit - map here - starting to the north, to join the Grand Union Canal towpath at Horton Wharf. I took the towpath back south as far as Tring Station, then climbed by road and bridleway to the Bridgewater Monument: the tower itself was closed, and since it was surrounded by trees, there were no views to be had.

I returned to my start via a good track through the Ashridge Estate, which ultimately emerged from the woods to give good views out over the Chilterns scarp and the plains to the north (the NT has done a good job opening up the estate to cycling). To finish the day I walked up the Beacon itself  (no cycling access): this open downland summit is another fine viewpoint.

Although the journey back round the M25 in the evening rush hour was rather slow, this excursion has whetted my appetite for more explorations to the Far North.

View from car park to Ivinghoe Beacon

Grand Union towpath

Bridgewater Monument

Cycle path through Ashridge Estate

Track eventually emerges from woods

'Summit' of Ivinghoe Beacon (access on foot only)

Comments