Cycling London's Capital Ring: Earlsfield Station to Richmond

Previous section: Crystal Palace to Earlsfield
Next section: Richmond to Horsenden Hill

I am trying to cycle the Capital Ring in consecutive stages in a clockwise direction. This ride is a prequel to my ride of July 31 (Capital Ring from Richmond to Horsenden Hill).

I started from Earlsfield which I can easily reach by train. I had to deviate significantly from the official Capital Ring walking route through the open spaces in order to stay on legit cycle paths ie in Wimbledon Park, Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park, but there are very acceptable alternatives in all three cases. I had hoped to progress further around the Ring, but working out these alternatives took me some time, and I terminated today's ride at Richmond, and cycled along the Thames towpath to get the train back home from Surbiton.  Here is my GPS track-map for my two rides so far (the tracks are in BLUE), along with the complete route of the official Capital Ring walking route. Hopefully, you can spot the differences where I used a legit cycling alternative.



Wimbledon Park Lake, looking across to the famous courts of the All England Lawn Tennis Club

Jolly boating weather

Shared use path around the edge of Wimbledon Park (the official walking route goes around the other side of the park)

Grand houses in Wimbledon

Arriving at Wimbledon Common

Bit of a downer, but seek....

...and ye shall find

The Windmill on Wimbledon Common

Follow the cycle path.....

....it's quite nice....

.... reaches the A3 beside the Beverley Brook

Mega crossing of the A3....

......to the Robin Hood Gate of Richmond Park......

....an oasis of calm

Cafe hut at Pen Ponds

The traffic-free cycle route through Richmond Park (you pass lovely Isabella Plantation if you have time to stop off)

Tamsin trail from Ham Gate to Petersham Gate along the foot of the scarp on which sits Pembroke Lodge

St Peter's Church, Petersham (where George Vancouver is buried)

Petersham Nursery has a nice (but pricey) cafe

Path along Petersham meadows into Richmond
Next section from Richmond to Horsenden Hill is here.

Comments