Isle of Wight: Ventnor Downs revisited

Last year I made several excursions to the Isle of Wight, including a circuit of the East coast, and of the Ventnor Downs. This time, I revisited to explore some variations on a theme. On a brilliant summer's day, I took the train from Ryde to Brading, and cycled along the cycleway to St Helens. From here I explored the coastal path around to Whitecliff Bay and over Culver Down: however, I found it had several difficult ups and downs, kissing gates.... and 'no cycling' signs: fair enough it is a footpath after all.

I arrived at Shanklin station around 4pm. It was such a brilliant day that I decided to continue, and made a circuit of the Ventnor Downs, but shorter than I did before. Here is a map.


I headed out West along the railway path to Wroxall, from where I ascended Rew Lane and branched off on the service road for the transmitter on Stenbury Down. This was incredibly steep, but is well surfaced hence an excellent way to access the ridge along the top of the downs, providing an easier alternative to the bumpy route I took last time via the Worsely Trail.

I then cycled out along the bridleway to Rew Down, and descended past Ventnor Golf Course. I then  climbed on the lane (another lung-buster) up to the radar station on Boniface Down, and rode along Luccombe Down and Shanklin Down before descending to the disused railway to complete the circuit.

A really satisfying short(er) loop, with excellent views all around. The paths were in excellent condition after such a long, hot, dry spell.
Coffee stop at St Helen's

Ascending to Stenbury Down - phew it's steep

On Stenbury Downs

Riding along to Rew Down

Descent towards Ventnor

Climbing the road to Boniface Down (that's not me)

Setting off along Luccombe Down

Twixt Luccombe and Shanklin Downs


Starting the descent back down to the disused railway path

Comments