Castleman Trailway, Poole Harbour and Bournemouth sea front


The Castleman Trailway is a disused railway route linking Ringwood in Hampshire with Upton Country Park next to Poole Harbour. Today, I incorporated it in a circuit together with NCN25 beside Poole Harbour, and the Bournemouth seaside promenade (NCN2 when open to cycling) to reach Hengistbury Head, from where I got the ferry to Mudeford Quay. I improvised a return route along country roads, rejoining the disused railway south of Ringwood. About 50 miles in all, and a full day (for me).

I initially parked at the dedicated car park adjacent to the A31/B3081 junction at Ashley Twinning. But as I set off cycling, I saw that the notice states that there is a limit of 6 hours parking, with wheel clamping in operation - a local told me the car park has started to be used by people parking to avoid parking charges in Ringwood.  I knew I might need longer than that (the circuit took me about 9 hours in the end.) I didn't have time to research alternatives, so I relocated to park at Moors Valley Country Park a couple of miles away. This cost £11+ for a full day, but at least there are good facilities (cafe etc) and it is secure: sadly, it seems increasingly risky to leave your car parked for a long time in remote locations. Also, although the gates inward were locked at 6pm, you can get out any time (so long as you have paid!): again this was handy, as I got back nearer 7pm.

It was a short ride through the forest to join the Trailway. This is Castleman Trailway (East), which takes you to the outskirts of Wimbourne. There is dedicated signing; it is also designated and signed as NCN256. The trail here and later generally has a very good surface where it follows the old trackbed, but where the original trackbed has been lost, the route takes to bridleways which were less good and may get muddy after rain.

Car park, Moors Valley Country Park


On the Castleman Trailway (East)


It is also signed as NCN256

Having reached Wimbourne, I was disappointed to find that the Trailway doesn't continue through the town, rather you follow NCN256 signs along a good cycleway beside the B3073, then take to backstreets, emerging onto a shared use pavement heading south beside the busy B3073 again (here the route becomes signed as NCN25). At last the Trailway resumed at the Willets Arms as Castleman Trailway (West), which took me pleasantly down to Upton Country Park, which has a tearoom and very pleasant gardens. 

Roadside cycleway, Wimbourne

Follow NCN signs

Start of Castleman Trailway (West)



Upton House

Garden and tearoom, Upton Country Park

I made my way through the Park and down to the shores of Poole Harbour, and picked up the shore-side path which took me to the bustling harbour side at Poole Quay, and then on beside Parkstone Bay. 

Beside Poole Harbour inlet, Upton Country Park

NCN25 beside Poole Harbour

Poole Quay

Poole Old Town


NCN25 beside Parkstone Bay


I stopped for lunch at the South Deep cafe

NCN Millennium Signpost

From here I had to take to the busy B3369 to reach the western end of the Bournemouth promenade. Here, cycling is NOT allowed from 10am-6pm in July and August (ie it IS allowed outside these hours/months.) The prom will always be busy on a fine day, and you must be patient and cycle slowly to weave around pedestrians and other cyclists. But it is very enjoyable to ride along the 8 miles of sea front all the way to its Eastern end at Hengistbury. . 


Rule for Bournemouth prom







Hengistbury Head, with Isle of Wight beyond, seen from NCN2

I followed NCN2 into the Hengistbury Head nature reserve on a good tarmac road and out onto the spit with its colourful beach huts. Here, I boarded the ferry and crossed to Mudeford Quay, from where I improvised a reasonably direct route back to my start using country lanes (some carrying quite a lot of traffic), and rejoining the disused railway path south of Ringwood (it is not part of the Trailway here, and is a rather disjointed set of bridleways through new estates).

NCN2 beside Christchurch Harbour


Beach huts on the Mudeford spit

Ferry across to Mudeford Quay (ferries also go to Christchurch)

Back on land at Mudeford Quay



Rejoin the disused railway


Back on Castleman Trailway (East)

Comments