Grand Union Canal and Hillingdon Trail

[For a summary of all my rides along the Grand Union Canal between London and Birmingham, see this blog.]

In previous excursions, I have cycled most of the Grand Union Canal (GUC) towpath between London and Birmingham. There are a couple of gaps to fill: between Kings Langley and Berkhampstead, and from West Drayton to Bull's Bridge. In this ride, I covered the latter, accomplished as part of a circuit exploring the southern part of the Hillingdon Trail.


On this hot sunny summer afternoon, I parked in Packet Boat Lane in Cowley, convenient to join the GUC towpath passing through West Drayton and Hayes to Bull's Bridge, where I headed north through Southall on the Paddington arm of the GUC. I picked up the Hillingdon Trail at Yeading. Rather like the Capital Ring, this Trail threads its way along a surprisingly green corridor through these North West London suburbs. The surface was mainly firm grass track, OK in a dry summer, but probably not advisable to cycle after wet weather.

The first few miles went well, but then I missed the correct path at the crossing of Kingshill Avenue, but circled back to correct my track. Up until this point the entry barriers had been of a kind to admit cycles: either kissing gates with generous 'holding space', or barriers shaped to allow handlebars through. But after I had passed through Ten Acres, I encountered a series of small kissing gates and stiles which implied 'bikes not welcome'. I got through with some difficulty so I don't recommend repeating the experience: stick to roads for this section.

Eventually I emerged in North Hillingdon, where I left the Trail and made my way through Uxbridge back to the GUC, to ride along the towpath to complete the circuit.
Where River Pinn joins GUC

Improved towpath opposite West Drayton Station

Another improved section of towpath

Touch of the dark satanic

More dark satanic, being demolished

Bull's Bridge: the Paddington Arm of the GUC comes in from the left; straight on to Brentford

Paddington Arm has a good towpath

I joined the Hillingdon Trail at Yeading

The Trail is being improved in places.....

....but remains flower meadow elsewhere

Gate on Kingshill Ave, with mounting and dismounting blocks for horses (could use for bikes I suppose)

Entrance barrier allowing bikes to pass

Path through Ten Acre Wood bodes well for cycling.....

....but subsequent gates are not for bikes


High Street, Uxbridge

Uxbridge GUC Boatyard 

More typical (unimproved) towpath


Comments